Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Linking up with Kellys Korner.....Friendships

This topic has always been important to me and so I was excited to see that Kelly was going to touch on it with her "Build Them Up Series" so I am looking forward to linking up.

I was blessed in college to have a good group of girlfriends, a time looking back that was easy to make friends, no full-time job, no kids, no husband.....just hanging out. I am blessed to still stay in touch with most of those 8-10 girlfriends 15 years later.

Now we don't see each other very often because I live in NC and almost all of them live in Atlanta. Luckily my parents and sister still live in Atlanta so I get to to see them once or twice a year, but its still so hard because I usually come in town for a holiday when everyone else is hanging out with their families or for something that took up much of my weekend while still trying to spend time with family.  I am close with my sister and my very best friend, Mandy.



 
 
After college I moved to Charlotte to go to grad school where I did make 1 good friend, who happened to have the same name
 
But after grad school I moved to Alabama so that my husband could go to grad school and then to Texas State where my husband had his first job. I did make 2 great friends there but we wanted to be near home.
 
So we luckily moved to App State where my husband went to undergrad. BUT we live in a small town. I work an hour away, and my husband works 40 mins away......in the opposite direction. So even getting together with work friends is difficult, especially with a young child (who goes to school where I work).
 
I have started a "moms of lenoir" facebook group (175 moms on it) and have lucked in to having 5-6 women on my street with small children.
 
But I still look to have a steady group, its hard with everyones schedule. One of my closest relationships here is with my walking buddy/neighbor Leah. We lucked into the relationship after a couple of years and me trying to set her up with one of my coworkers. We just clicked.
 
I have also become part of a bible study with Leah and have at least met a few new women.
 
I was part of a sorority in college, Alpha Gamma Delta, at the University of Georgia and was blessed to meet the girls above. Next fall (2014) App State will be colonizing Alpha Gam and I hope to have the opporunity to find a job up there and possibly move up there to help start it up and make some friendships that way.
 
Some people make it look so easy, and especially if you move a lot you treasure those relatiosnhips that do stick. My pastor this past week actually did his sermon on relationships and how GOD is your number one friend. His next series is all about relationships and I am looking forward to hearing it. Trying to learn how to be a better friend.
 
I don't know how many of you know about the "5 languages of Love" but mine is gifts. I tend to want to give my friends gifts to show them I care.
 
Any other great ideas on how to meet new friends?

No comments: